Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Freedom from Face-book and more

Now that I am not on facebook anymore, I have time for useful things!
I get more stuff done, the creative process is at work. I even have time to contemplate on my life, I have time to plan more things, I call more of my friends, I get in touch with the real people in my life. I feel like my vision is clearer with less clutter in the background. Suddenly I know who my real friends are and who are just names on a screen. I feel like I have reached a deeper lost part of me. I feel free, I feel light. I feel that I am who I used to be. My energy is not wasted on 100 percent useless spying anymore, I do not waist time coming up with status updates and I even came up with so many ideas for an important project . I had real conversations on the phone with some of my family that I relied on sending face book messages to communicate with. I use my phone more, I check my mail more. I write more useful emails, I have time for my real life. I even focused more on my house and had time to remove some clutter from there. I am forced not to be a procrastinator because I have less stupid things to do so basically I get things done! I got out of my house more, since with face book I always feel like I am always with everybody, so I do not miss anyone anymore. Now relationships can be real, privacy can be regained and limits are back to my life. I am happier although I confess my fingers keep typing the words face book on the keyboard by mistake, actually because it has become an automatic reflex, and I confess I felt the urge to spy and see what is going on again, but no I am stronger than that, I kept my self back. I can not go back that soon, I am not even happy there, my life was slipping through my fingers there. I do not want to be just another face in a book, on a screen somewhere, I do not want to follow the herd, I felt like I was being forced and hypnotized, doing what the face book creators wanted me to do. So many times we just follow the ad people's orders like they were the boss of us. They call it pop culture or the power of the media. I am sick of this 24/7 continuos orders that I keep getting. "take a break!, have a kitkat!" Just do it! nike!. The last egyptian Coca cola ad was literally "Get up get a coke", thats just plain rude not even a please?, and there are the ads that tell you indulge!, and mobinil's fun new ads are all about Talk!TALK TALK! it is a telephone network that in every occasion orders us to talk!!
Why do they keep telling us what to do? And why do we listen? And from where do they get all this authority in their voices on t.v. With a very low confident voice the same voice tells us what to do from an ad to a different one selling different products and we are all the suckers who obey. Who says you want to just do it?, what if you want to think more about it? take your time or better yet sleep on it? Why aren't there advertisements encouraging you to do what you want? If I came up with an ad it would be an ad to fight ads not to take their orders, to protect vulnerable kids from obeying and to tell people are you doing it for you? or because the ad said you should? Do we need more orders and controlling people to direct our needs, tell us what we want to buy and what we should be doing? During this ramadan I have taken more orders from advertisements than have I taken from my parents as I was growing up and I have never listened to so many lies like I did this month. 
My point was I am very happy that I quit face book, in fact I am relieved! Before I do something from now on I will ask my self, do I want to do it? or does the media want me to do it? or do my parents want me to do it? or do my friends want me to do it? the answer should always be: I want to do it! Unless I am pleasing my sick grandmother by wearing the earrings that she got me of-course,I do not want to be a pop culture victim any more I want to be the real human being that I am, not the face book member, not the coca cola drinker and not the nike just doer.
I am free!! Join me?

1 comment:

  1. :)
    very in depth analysis of how pop culture controls one's life

    ReplyDelete