Monday, September 14, 2009

Arabic

The Arabic language is so warm
when traveling for a long time my ears are thirsty for the sound of it
for the ring to it
for the feel of it
for my comfort to it

Between the crowds of California my ears spot the sound of the arabic words even if miles away.
When we dine in a lebanese restaurant in California and an arabic song is playing my heart dances with happiness to the beats of the arabic drums.

Certain notes do not exist in the western music, beats that symbolize certain emotions that only exist in the arabic world. Certain words do not exist in the english language but they do exist in the arabic language, because certain feelings can only be felt by an arabic speaker, one who knows about the desert and the pains of separation. 

The sound of certain arabic instruments can make me cry and the sound of certain words out of certain people's tongues can make me melt.

Words and feelings and things that the english language will never comprehend, will never translate and will never depict.

When Omar El Sherif speaks of love in an arabic movie it means so much more than when he does in an english one. The Quran when recited by an amazing voice in arabic can make hearts of stone bend and feel something, however when translated in English it does not have the same effect. 

Our grandfather told us of stories of people who can not speak arabic but weeped to the sound of the holy book recited in its original language.

The magic of the arabic language can not be compared by any other. I will never miss another language more than I miss the sound of the arabic language.

Maybe that is because it is my first.   

No comments:

Post a Comment