Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to the freak show

they are in their late and early twenties and they dress like late forties!
they greet you like they were sleeping with u last night and you pushed them off the bed.
Every time I am invited to a big gathering I forget what I learned last time. 

I have to remind my self:
1. Not to bend and kiss the seated girls because they do not even shift in their seat even to act like they attempt to rise just one bit. They do not even move their neck or eyebrows not even to fake a movement. I wondered if their eggs would hatch under their seats if they shifted parts of their buts.
2. Not to say hi with any excitement because everyone else is talking out of an ice cube.
3. Not to worry about what I will wear because anything I wear wont fit in with the common style.
4. Not  to try to make conversation because it is not allowed that people not from the same group talk. 
5. Not to start walking towards someone I know to say hi because they will think I am desperate.
It is hard to remember all of this. I realized it is a sick stuck up society, however a lot of times the hosts you love and you want to go and do the right thing. Me and my normal friends took a side and started laughing. Saying we get better hellos from our building porter and sometimes we want to hug him for that. 
I remembered California and how the stranger in the street said hello with more warmth than the ice cubes we meet here. My friend asked me if the problem was with us I told her for sure it is not, and I proved it with the people in the streets of California, Brazil and even in Cairo and that they could greet better.

Shortly we left, tired of the codes that we do not abide by. All the subtle rules of rigidness, heaviness, aloofness, and keeping a distance, things we find hard to apply. The worst part of living here is all the unneeded complexities that people create.

Next time I will remember that creme de la creme does not expect good greeting and will not reciprocate it. 

4 comments:

  1. YOU are the creme de la creme.. not any of the snobs. its insecurities tous don't let it get to you
    i once read something, "no one makes you feel inferior without your persmission" very true
    laugh and have a fabulous time and may they freeze in their ice cubes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece ...because it is such a close discription of reality. Unfortunatly we have to put up with some individuals who not only show the impolite greeting scenario, but continue to remain unmoved by any conversation or enthusiasm in the air. I don't understand ice cubing moves. Actually, I prefer to filter out of my existence a lot of the ice cubes. After all, who needs them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks monmon that is so sweet of u
    i know i should not let it get to me, but it does, it is not fun!!

    anonymous: I am dying to know who you are
    do i know u?
    thank u for relating
    and u r right the filter rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tousa i couldnt even begin to tell you how much i agree with you.. so sad really..

    ReplyDelete