Friday, September 11, 2009

Contemplating

The few days left for me to experience ramadan here, i am clinging to. Although my weak body is suffering, although every time I get up I black out, although I could  feel my stomache stuck to my back and my body so light and easily breakable, I am enjoying my vulnerablity. I googled the biological benefits of fasting, it is really a detox and gives your liver time to rest from all the work it has to do when you drink or eat. Besides the spirtiual benefits, there are physical benefits to food deprivation. With  little fuel I experience lightness all over along with light headedness. I wasted most of my Ramadan abroad I could not fast there and I could not even feel it in the air. A big part of Ramadan is experiencing it with your family. It is so easy to forget about it abroad when everyone in the street chews on sandwiches in daylight. When work hours are not altered to meet the needs of the fasting being and the day goes like it does any other time of the year, it is so easy for one to totally block the fact that ramadan is slipping away and it is forgotten. 

What makes us who we are is our deep engrossed traditions, beliefs and things engraved in our core while growing up. If things are not carved in our being as children it may be very hard for us to scribble them on again. Where we are and who we are with have a huge impact on who we become. Everything stains us, everything leaves a mark, people shape us and places mold us.
It is very easy for us to slip away to blend in and to lose our essence while trying to fit in.
We change so much everyday we are not the same people we were last year, not even yesterday. So many things change nothing stays the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment