Tuesday, December 1, 2009

why london?

as i watched the zoo of the shoppers and the hundreds of women rushing to purchase their wanted things this christmas in london, i realized it is not about the shopping anymore it is something way more important that brings us all together hunting between the isles like the lioness we hunt for survival.

the women are everywhere the make up floor was like a carnival every woman trusting her make up artist and every sales person like an angel a mother and a father. the sales people were my best friends their smiles were heavenly and they wanted good for me and sometimes we hugged after a long conversation. i wondered if my desire to shop was out of a desire to connect with the friendly sales girl, was it in an attempt to buy happiness in that lipstick?, or was it just vanity?

is shopping a result of greed?, is it a sickness?, or is it a need to look pretty for your loved one?. Some products look like they were made for you. this christmas in London precisely in selfredges the products were pieces of art. the colors, the fabrics, the scents of the perfumes, the ways the manikans stood and all the scenes the artists behind the display created was all larger than life. it was not about a need to buy anymore it was about being part of a production. like plays on broadway, like paintings in a museum, it was historically important to be part of the fashion revolution.

I usually hate going to an indoors mall, but in the freezing weather the mall felt like home. between the russians, the indians, the arabs, the english i felt home. no body is a tourist in london, it is a place that welcomes everyone but the sun. the last time i visited london i was 14 ever since my parents took me to italy and france, two of my favorite places of course. the last time i checked the english were not so friendly, but when i went this time i found that they were becoming extinct in london. the remains of them are very friendly now, that is if you catch them anywhere.

London is cosmopolitan as you all know, it is everyone's home, no one feels weird, no one is alienated, no one is better than any one in London. My Egyptian brothers work there and found dignity and respect to their humanity, my arabian neighbors choose it to spend their fortunes and shop, my indian spiritual idols have also found refuge in London.

the smaller, classier version of new york is london. In london I felt safe. Although London is not as beautiful as Paris in my eyes, although the english are not as charming as the Italians, I can see why people always choose london. I felt like it is the biggest refugee camp ever. People are running away to London and they all found what they wanted: freedom, respect,art, food, clothes, friendliness, perfection, dignity and love.
at the airport, as I pass through the security check I see a woman before me being searched since she obviously beeped, for the first time n my life i see a woman in such a situation laughing. The two officers searching her were also laughing, the whole procedure that I sometimes dread was fun to watch and experience.
Now I understood what the big fuss is about, it is worth it. for the spirit there and the non judge-mental ways.
I heart London

No comments:

Post a Comment