Friday, August 21, 2009

Peace and Joy


After a stressful morning,  I take my bike and my angelic mother in law leads the way in order for me to find my yoga class. I make it right in time, being the emotional personal that i am little things can start a flood of tears however small things can  also make me reach bliss faster than many others. So I find my inner peace in my favorite thing in this world: yoga!
life no matter how wonderful it can be, is full of suffering, once I drown in the yoga I close my eyes and I can breathe, and that eliminates the stress.

It was like the instructor has dropped from heaven, just being in her presence lifted you up. It was like she knew exactly how i felt when she turned on the amazing song with the amazing lyrics. Words so soothing so simple and so heart felt.

it was like the song was a personal dedication to me as self centered as it seemed, but anyone else could relate too. it was that moment when u know it is not coincidence that you hear these words now! it was my perfect way to embrace my ramadan!
the song was:

I am what I am and that is that
I am what I am and thank God for that
I am who you are imagine that

there is only one God and that is fact
God bless the children cause we love them

and then it repeats over and over like the most soothing mantra ever. This is the power of music when combined with meditation it takes you to a higher place. It is universal, I couldn't help it I had to tell the instructor what a beautiful song this was. She told me it is by a kundalini yogi. Kundalini is the type of yoga that is focused on spirituality and connecting with the higher power. 
 I started thinking of the beauty of saying these words and feeling them deeply. I am what I am and that is that. How many times have you felt apologetic for who you are? For what you believe in? How many times have you had to shrink to make others feel comfortable? How many times have you had tried pretending you didn't hear words that were said so you do not cry? How many times did you not say I am what I am and thank God for that! when you wanted to say it?

 The instructor put the same song again because she realized how much i loved it. So as we go to the corpse pose where we lay on our backs close our eyes and relax after all the different postures we have been doing. With her Angelic voice she says put your hand on your heart and know that you are not alone, you are supported!

She said imagine a golden light coming through the top of your head into your body through your crown chakra. I needed nothing more than to hear these words that I am what I am and that is that. I am what I am and thank God for that. That there is only one God and that is a fact!

So many times we are forced to keep quiet to go with the flow when so much of who we are is being molded into someone else and we just swallow our words back in our throats because we do not want to create a stir. That song set me free to be who I am to be one who loves my religion, one who loves God, One who loves all religions, one who puts peace above all and one who prioritizes freedom of worship. I pity those muslims who have to fast in a foreign country it is like holding on to coal. Those who fast in a country where the azan (the call of prayer) fills the skies, are truly blessed and fortunate. You are supported by the whole nation and everyone respects that. I heard Obama's message to Muslims for ramadan, if you had not you should, nothing is more touching. 

A man who respects other religions, knows what ramadan is, unlike many born muslims who do not, he prayed for us. I do not care if he taxes more, this man is a man of God, he said may peace be upon you in the end, he won us over, he showed us he understands.

Love is created whenever you show someone you understand, it is so easy to make people happy, just speak their language, show them you know where they come from. I love Obama so much because he is not after the power, he is not after the money, the man genuinely cares for world peace. 

The song was still playing saying everything I wanted to say and felt. I am who you are imagine that. When we close our eyes the world of differences and objects and you and me disappears. the only thing that remains is a world where we are all one. Once we stop thinking from our ego and we meditate: the sea becomes the same as the donut and you are the same as your neighbor, your dog and your sofa and your tree, we all become one. This is why group prayers are so powerful because you unite with so many and into the great one everything unites.

Ramadan spirit was spreading in the air of the yoga studio, I was feeling it already, a high that I only get from a spirituality level that is capable of filling me with bliss and joy.

I am what I am and thank God for that!
Ramadan Kareem 

No comments:

Post a Comment