Sunday, August 23, 2009

cleopatra rebells

I refuse to watch the news today. I refuse to listen to depressing stories from strangers attempting to drain me. I refuse to carry everyone's pain on my back. I refuse to understand why my so called friend frowns all day. I refuse to be understanding to all those who think they can burden me with their sad faces. I will join an n.g.o to help people but from the lucky people I know I refuse to feel their pain. 

I have my share of problems too no one is born with a magic wand however I deal with it and learn to smile as I greet you. I refuse to listen to the manicurist's tragic personal story, I refuse to listen to someone complain about their life situation especially that I know for sure they can do something about it. I have made a deal with my self no more negative people those who make my stomach hurt when I see them and I start to wonder if it was me, if I did something to upset them.

Why is that I never give my self the right to burden someone with my frown and my pitiful why me situation? while others think it is their right? If there is a crisis I fully understand I will be your shoulder to cry on, other than that I do not think it serves the world or any one or yourself that you burden me with your frown.
About the recession who ever you are scaring the world and freaking everyone out. Your anxiety does not help me or anyone. 

Personally I believe this world we live in is an illusion, especially the one the t.v broadcasts. Especially the news I do not believe the news no matter how bad that it gets.

They scared the hell out of us with the swine flu and I do not see people's faces turning into pigs right now. They freaked us out like we will beg in the streets because of the damn recession, of course it happened but Egypt was not that affected. Part of being in the game is winning and losing, it is not like we went hungry, it is not like our children couldn't find clothes. Doesn't whatever goes down come up again? Why do we have to freak each other out? Ok a lot of people were laid off in the world. Unless you are one of them, unless you are starving I do not want to hear about it. Why is it that people love to share their miserable stories only.
I do not find anyone who says work is great we are doing so much better, Thank God we are making a lot more now. Maybe because in these times it is not true but what about before?
Nobody mentioned the prosperity.

I can remember everyone was also worried and dreadful when things were fine. And on a personal level how was your trip? It was ok! Very rarely do I hear: It was amazing!

Some one who just fell in love: How is he like? He is nice! 
nice? Is nice enough to sweep you off your feet?
 This is the case in egypt, unfortunately, however here in suburban California sitting at a cafe people watching and sketching and ears-dropping, all I hear is: "it was amazing", "we had a great time", "we are enjoying living here very much ", " I loved that movie".

In Cairo the norm is to complain. No one talks about the good stuff. Did you hear? I don't know who's daughter has cancer and is dyeing and the mother is being crucified in the hospital. That is what people enjoy telling. Did you hear? they raped this boy took his toes and made them sandwiches for rats and then tortured the rats and its on (el qahera el yom) or the cairo today show. People love to put you down, they love to share the bad news it gives them chills. Did you hear who got divorced? Did you find out why? because he is so rich that his money dropped from his ears and she was so bored of his cheating with other girls who are her friends by the way, and of course his drug problem and that he was gay! but do not spread the word, you  know I love the girl, really!! I do so please you did not hear it from me.

They enjoy rubbing it in your face as soon as they see you smiling, they have no idea how much damage they might be doing by spreading this. Who said you are ready to hear this? you are caught off guard and bam you get it when you least expect it, as you chew your pop corn walking into a movie. The pop corn hangs in your throat and you can not swallow and you wander what you are supposed to do with such information. You wonder if it fair that you go on to watch your movie, if it is was a comedy you start feeling guilty for laughing. You lose your smile the positive vibe you came with to the place. You know the world is a horrible place! Personally I prefer going to bed and ordering a pizza after I get these kinds of information. I need carbs for support and I want to cry in a closed space.
You also see a cunning smile on the face of the news spreader like they are proud they are the ones sharing it, yet they are sad for the victim, however they enjoy seeing your reaction as they steal your smile.
The richer or the more famous the victims of the story are the juicier it becomes, no body cares if your driver got a divorce, but if this couple that is always in  magazines' high society top notch glitter, glamour, sparkle, sparkle top five couples got a divorce, that gives pride to the story teller.

I hate  nothing more than the words high society or the "IT" couples, nothing awakens the thin hair on the back of my neck like that. You are invited to a party and it says high society's creme de la creme. Oh my God what is more nauseating? What about the rest of the people who were not invited are they all ugly ducklings? People dress up and go looking at each other wanting to be seen with subtle thoughts of: see me? see what I am wearing? I am the creme just like you are, we are the "it" people and what they do not know is how boring it is all. For how many years have the same faces dressed up stood like wood and stone checking each other out with scary eyes. Look who is going out with who now let us all stare and see exactly how she looks like and then lets go back home and tell the whole world who we saw with who and how much we think she is not even pretty.

Let us all be cold think twice before greeting people we know. Let us all see who can be more aloof because it is all complicated and the heavier you get on your seat the more prestige you have. Let us all kiss ass to the four people who are brand names now because they have bigger wallets. Let us all treat each other differently all based on how successful we are. Let us all stare at who ever dances at our nightclubs because we are all here just to stare and let us whisper and laugh. Let us all check out how big our diamonds are. Let us all forget that we used to fast in ramadan let us all just got to the (sohours) and dread that we can not drink, or better let us all drink in the holy month and have big parties! the more we deviate from our culture and traditions the cooler we are. Let us go to weddings and the moment we leave let us all talk about all the things we did not like at the wedding, because this is exactly why we  were invited. The bride and groom really want us to go out of the wedding and criticize all the different aspects. Let us all gather and criticize the dress, the flowers, the bride, and that some of the guests were veiled. If we used to like the groom or bride and it did not workout let us all go all out, and show them what they missed, because of course when they see us and our incredible extra skin revealed they will regret their choice. They will have nothing left to imagine let us show it all to them on their last night, maybe just maybe they will change their minds. Let us only dance to the english songs and let us not dare to know the lyrics to an arabic song.  Let us be CREME DE LA CREME and let all the other losers kiss ass to us.

Why oh why?


3 comments:

  1. "the mother is being crucified in the hospital" HAHAHAHAHA! tous you're hilarious and 100% right! i, too, refuse to hear the complaining of the lucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of your best posts
    Perfect and balanced

    ReplyDelete