Saturday, February 6, 2010

the island in this city





zamalek is an island in cairo.
only discussing leaving it almost made my heart stop.
you see this island is my safe place.
the whole city is stuck in traffic, but on the island you can walk to places.
you have art galleries, flower shops, clubs with gardens, anything you can imagine can be brought to your door step.

I feel safe here, although some roads are crooked, although some street lights do not work.
I can drive here and I do not have to worry about a truck shoving me off the high way.
I can walk to the supermarket.
I can order things from the pharmacy,
that makes me feel backed up.

The idea that people can pass by me easily, drop me off, share a coffee, is just comforting.
This island is full of trees.
This island is full of little shops, fruit markets, and fresh vegetables sold at every corner.
In zamalek the poor and the rich live together in peace.
the embassies make it safe here.

the most amazing thing about zamalek is the river nile that hugs it form every end.
The beauty of the old buildings gives you hope, and the kindness of the people can not be found anywhere else.

I love maadi too, but it is like a colony of the states. In the mornings it is beautiful, but something is not Egyptian about it.
It is like you are in cairo but you are not.

Today I discovered a shawerma gem in zamalek.
Every day as I go home I pass by it and I see many people standing inline at this shawerma place.
It has been a year now, and my curiosity grew stronger. the more i see people i know who come from different districts waiting to taste their shawerma sandwich, the more i realize something is special about this sandwich.

Today I went down for a walk and grocery shopping and as I walked and admired the architecture of zamalek and how alive it is, I pass by the same shawerma place and the smell makes your mouth water when you are hungry.

I decided to be brave and to buy this sandwich that has for so long intrigued me.
costing only eight pounds and sold from the street stand, this sandwich that was ready in less than five minutes was finally going to be mine.

I was scared that my sensitive stomach would suffer consequences. Since it was part of my search for independence, I did it anyway, knowing that I was taking a huge risk.

This sandwich meant so much to me, buying it and standing in the middle of the cold busy street alone, i felt powerful.
The man gave it to me and I walked the street eating it and with each bite i found joy and bliss.

The taste of the shawerma dipped in the tehina and the softness of the bread was worth the wait.
It was by far the best shawerma sandwich in cairo. i could taste the sweetness of the city in it, the spiciness of the people's sense of humor in it. i could feel the warmth of family in the bread between my lips.

the place is called Baraka, and baraka is the closest thing to a blessing. it is right next to quick, and the name of the street is brasil street, stemming out of hassan sabry.

Many people know it, many people pass by it, now I am one of those who tasted it and we all have a bond now!
A shawerma bond.

The owner was obese of course he was making the sandwhiches with his own hands and to my surprise he put on the glove for me, he felt that I might be one of those, I actually am, so he was right.

I love good food, not pretentious, and not over priced.

As I chewed on this shawerma sandwich and walked the brasil street and breathed the cold fresh air of my island, I realized how much i love this street. I bought some flowers from a local flower shop, as i held on to my sandwich tight, purple roses, that were also not over priced. It feels good not to be fooled, it feels good to have good food, and most of all to be able to walk, and not to be in the passenger's seat.

today I felt free and in control of my life, I was liberated, thanks to my shawerma sandwhich, thanks to my street, thanks to this island.

I love this land, I love good food, I loved tasting life without complexities, like the tourist, like the simple man or woman, on two feet straight on the ground, no wheels, no driver and no one to witness my every move.

happiness is in simplicity and is in doing things with your bare hands on your two feet. happiness is in breathing the fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment