Monday, March 22, 2010

life lost in a traffic jam


two hours and more on the ring road trying to reach my sick sister on the other side of my world.

my family's house is on the Cairo, Alex road I never understood how hard it is for people to visit us until i became the people who visit them.

with a truck on my left and a bigger truck on my right i felt like a helpless sandwich filling.

a road that does not move for two hours and more, deserves not to be taken again.

tears of anger and frustration start creeping down my face and i try to hide them so that the driver does not see how i am. worst of all you blame the driver who took the choice and did not ask you which road to take.

with a conscience that tortures me i sit back holding my words back swallowing them inside me.

i wanted to tell him why oh why? why did you not ask?

but who am i to say that, he meant well, he is not even mine, i pitied the man who took the wrong road and trapped me on the road.

shuffling in my seat in agony, in captivity, feeling like an angry lion in a cage, and a helpless kitten in someone's ride with no voice, with no choice, with no pride.

even a phone call does not help because to my luck he speaks english too, he knows all my secrets he reads me all the time. he means well, he prays for me, but he leads my ride and for my horrible driving i have been asked to always take the passenger's seat.

when you are stuck more than two hours on the road you start asking the clouds what meaning could be behind this?

if things happen for a reason, what is the wait meant to teach?
patience i guess.
endurance too?

the amazing thing is that the Egyptians do not honk anymore when the road stops for hours, they do not honk in anger anymore, they have acquired patience and no care for the world that only monks in Tibet can have, or is it the hash that keeps them going?

i wonder what is the point of losing life on the road?
a road that can be taken in 35 minutes takes two hours and a half.
you think of all the things you could have done, all the places you could have gone to.
i could have gone to Alexandria and ordered lunch.

all i wanted was to visit my sick sister but i lost layers of me on the way, in sadness, in anger, in captivity.

i lost so much of my life on the ring road

4 comments:

  1. a lifelong dream: living in a city where u can go from end to end in 15 minutes.
    I hope your sister is okay..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank u so much marooned
    she is recovering slowly
    15 minutes would be amazing from end to another

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate traffic jams as it is a time wasting situation-cried a couple of times before because I was really late for something.. I swear a lot in this type of situation.. I guess it teaches people to have patience...because I can really get upset when am stuck in traffic for many hours.. BTW nice blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u anonymous :)
    i know what u mean
    cairo traffic especially has become impossible
    a test of patience is what it might be
    stay strong
    or stay home?

    ReplyDelete