Saturday, July 24, 2010

First post from an ipad







I didn't know I would love the apple iPad so much
Perfect size
And so friendly
This iPad is becoming my best friend
Moving on
Cairo in July is an experience worth your time
It is like I am in a different city
I feel like I'm renting an apartment in France
Where I know no one
And there is a certain charm to being on your own in an old city like Cairo
Walking in the streets and alleys of zamalek at night I have seen the jewels of embassies and villas that were hard to see from the crowd
It is very peaceful here when everyone else is by the coast or traveling the globe

You start seeing the city with the eyes of the tourist
Only foreigners here and people with no summer homes are left in the city
The darkness of the zamalek streets at night is scary and exciting too
The street called al montaza street is a secret lovers hiding place
On the corniche I saw the lovers kissing and whispering behind the trees
I also saw friends chilling in cars parked in the same street

The punks, the outcasts and the smoking up
All gather here for some reason
I know exactly why
It's beautiful
It's dark
It's mysterious


You can smell the Nile as you walk
And it's the closest you can get to these waters

Walking in zamalek is a rare chance for me

Only in July when half our population is by the beach can I do that
Finally I can feel the city again
I can feel the history and the stories behind each window
everyone i know is by the beach now because
Summer this year is shorter than before since august will meet Ramadan
And the bikinis will hide along with with the booz and the food
Some people will stay by the beach and hide in their beach houses until sunset
Some will come rushing back to cairo to meet their working husbands on the dining table at sunset to
break their fast and some will travel to any foreign place where the population knows nothing about Ramadan

Life is slow in Cairo and my muscles hurt from too much laying down
From doing nothing all day when I have the chance to do so much
For some reason I have zero energy for anything other than lounging all day and having breakfast and coffee in bed
I should be feeling guilty for being so lazy and unproductive
But I convince my self a housewife is a full-time job
And that I am experimenting with doing nothing
Although I doubt that anything good will come out of that
And I confess I do feel weird about it

Cairo in July in the weekend is peaceful, is cleaner, is lonely, is a new experience for me and I think I like it, me and my new friend the ipad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment