Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cairo post rev

I love people watching
I go out to cafes to see what everyone is up to
What they are saying
And from that i understand how things are in a place

Yesterday at night in tabasco cafe
A young man of artistic nature ordered a coffee and wanted to light a cig in the closed space
I asked if he doesn't mind waiting till I leave since me and my baby we can't breath

He was understanding
He waited and gave me the right of oxygen

His two girl friends came in and hugged him cuz he just came from Alex
They really missed him

He had so Much art to show them in his notebook and many interesting stories to tell them about life in Alex
They were all liberal, wearing jeans and t shirts very Egyptian and very proud
Two strong women who felt like they were taking care of him
He was so slim he doesn't eat much
So they laughed and ordered their own lunch

He started telling his stories his sad stories
He was loud and we were the only ones there

I told them I hope you guys don't mind that I can hear everything you are saying
I am entertained but I want to have your permission to continue listening
They laughed so much and apologized
I explained that I'm loving it
They went on to telling their story

he talked about Alexandria
that Alex has become another gaza
Beards and long cloaks everywhere
All the workers are dressed in the typical Islamic garments and the army is creating an environment of hostility

He said things are much worse in Alex

You see Alexandria has always been more conservative
And after the fall of the Islamic phobic regime the Saudi influenced people are shining now and it's like they are all out of the closet


Even here in Cairo
Suddenly the long messy beards have grown out of the once shaved faces of men I used to know who worked at the store
I realized they were always religious but Mubarak made them hide it since they could have been arrested
Anything forbidden is more interesting
They forbade religion and made it so wrong that now it's freedom showing that you are very religious

I believe religion is inside us
But I believe people should be able to dress and look the way they want to

The young man told his girlfriends that two of his Friends died in Alex
I was shocked they are young
He said one died from a heart attack in his apartment
The other from an overdose

Many people are dying from heart attacks these days
I could relate some of the nights of the revolution I could have easily lost my life too
My heart was almost stopping from fear of the thugs and gunfire of the old regime

I wondered if the islamists rule will these friends be able to meet again and sit together and laugh
Will they be able to wear short sleeves and touch as they talk

I started remembering how we look at the way Egyptians used to dress at the king Farouk times
we never know if the way we dress now will be remembered as the good old days of freedom
thats if the islamists rule

then i said no
the liberals are here
they wont let it go
the voice of the fundies is high
but they are a minority

the sufis and the liberals are still here
we egyptians are faithful by nature
faith is part of our being
so its natural for religion to play a role

but freedom and arts are also parts of us

i dont wanna be obsessed with the islamist boogiman like my fellow x regime lovers
i dont wanna be paralysed by fear from the lack of security

life will go on
art will go on
if i paint and the worker works and the singer sings
maybe life will be better here
it already feels way better

just now i was overhearing a group of people forming an alliance to help egypt
loud people who are passionate and a bit annoying are discussing the future of the country which is awesome

there is a buzz
and it is exciting

No comments:

Post a Comment